Create New Account
Buying Guide for Batteries
Focused Keywords: tubular battery, tubular inverter battery, cost of battery for inverter, tubular battery price, gel battery, inverter battery, best inverter battery
How to Choose My Battery for Home?
Are you not able to cope up with the severe weather and numerous power cuts in your area? It is probably time to buy an inverter and inverter battery that is effective and durable for worry-free summers. A battery is a critical part of an inverter. An inverter's output and life largely depend on its battery.
The first thing you should understand before buying an inverter battery for home is your power requirement. There are two important factors determine your power backup requirement, based on which you should decide what capacity of the battery is suitable for your need.
- Duration of continuous power backup, i.e., on an average, how long there is no electricity at your home or office (One hour, 5 hours OR just 15 minutes)?
- Load that you want to run at the time of power cut that maybe just two fans & 2 lights OR 5 fans, 5 lights, a TV, and a refrigerator.
Accordingly, you can decide the ampere-hour (Ah) rating of the inverter battery for your purchase. Please note that the inverter battery's capacity varies with the above 2 factors, the load and the duration of power backup. The more is the load and more is the duration of power backup, higher will be the battery capacity.
Other Factors to Be Considered Before Selecting Battery Capacity
You can find inverter batteries with various capacities in the market ranging from 100 Ah to 220 Ah.
So how do you decide which one is best suited for your requirement?
Based on the factors mentioned above, you can choose a battery with capacity that is perfect for your requirement. Fortunately, Luminous has built a Load Calculator that uses a smart algorithm to determine the optimal power backup requirement for you.
Please note that the inverter Battery Voltage rating is 12 V for almost all inverter batteries available in the market. As the load increases, the inverter wattage increases accordingly. Higher inverter capacity runs at a higher voltage in multiple of 12V, i.e. 24 V, 36 V, etc. A 24 V inverter requires 2 batteries of 12 V each.
Types of Inverter Batteries
Once Ah rating is decided as per your requirement, you will need to determine the type of inverter battery you want for your home or office.
Let's understand the types of batteries available in the market and choose the one which fits your requirements the best:
- Flat plate battery-These inverter batteries are lead-acid batteries recommended for areas with low duration but frequent power cuts.
Why should you choose a Flat plate battery?
Flat plate batteries are suggested for areas with minimal and frequent power cuts. These batteries are cheap, light on the pocket but have a shorter life span than tubular inverter batteries. These are one of the best inverter batteries with a faster rate of charging and need lesser time to charge. It usually comes with a short warranty period than tubular batteries.
- Tubular Battery- A tubular battery is a lead-acid battery that is generally big in size when compared to a flat plate battery. These best inverter batteries are suited for areas with long and fewer power cuts like a tier 2 or tier 3 city or city outskirts.
Why should you choose a Tubular battery?
Tubular batteries are best fitted for long power backup requirements and have a longer service life. These batteries require minimum effort to maintain and need fewer water top-ups. They are more reliable and usually come with a longer warranty period compared to a flat plate battery. A tubular battery is more expensive and takes more space to store than a flat plate battery.
Tubular batteries come in various container sizes, and it should be selected based on the space available in the house to store the inverter battery. Also, the tubular battery price is affordable. They can be classified into short tubular (ST/TJ) and tall tubular (TT) batteries.
- Short tubular inverter battery is slightly smaller in height but wider than a tall tubular battery. It is easier to store and carry them.
- Tall tubular inverter battery is larger in height than a short tubular battery and a flat plate battery but lesser in width. A tall tubular battery always provides a slightly longer backup time and is preferred for homes where storage space is not a constraint.
- Gel Batteries- Gel batteries give a more consistent power backup over a longer period than a normal lead-acid battery as it has a special crisscross structure of gel inside them that holds the acid and prevents it from settling down. They also offer more power backup per cycle.
Gel battery comes at a higher price than a tubular lead-acid battery, then why should you choose a gel battery?
The biggest advantage of a gel battery is that it is environment friendly and emits minimal harmful gas into the atmosphere making your home/office a healthier place. It is also sealed due to which there is zero risk of acid spillage. This best inverter battery is also easy to install and maintenance-free. No water top-up is required during the entire lifecycle of these batteries. The cost of battery for inverter is decreasing day by day, and hence the importance is increasing rapidly. Lastly, these inverter batteries provided consistent power backup throughout its life, unlike normal lead-acid batteries, where power backup reduces after a certain no. of years.
What is the relevance of the Warranty in a battery? What is Flat warranty and Pro-rata warranty?
The warranty period does not play any role in the power backup of an inverter battery. It is the period for which Luminous will provide free of cost service to rectify any defect.
Luminous offers various kinds of warranty on all capacities of inverter battery to choose from. It is done to ensure a particular capacity of battery is available at multiple price points, as for a home/office, it is difficult to compromise on the power backup requirement but they can settle on a battery with a lower warranty based on their budget.
Luminous offers a warranty on a Flat + Pro-Rata basis, e.g. Battery model LM 18075 comes with a warranty of 75* months, i.e. 60+15 of months, which implies it has a flat warranty of 60 months and a pro-rata warranty of 15 additional months.
It implies that a free of cost service warranty will be offered to the customer for first 60 months from date of purchase, and if a customer faces any issue with the battery after 61-75 months from the date of purchase, they can replace the defective inverter battery with a new Luminous Battery and get a discount equivalent to X% (refer to the warranty card of the battery for exact value) of the prevailing maximum retail price of the returned battery on the new battery.
What are the other factors to be considered while buying a battery?
As discussed above, the main points that need to be considered while buying a battery are capacity, warranty, technology, and size. When buying a new inverter battery, we suggest you to purchase a battery with the highest Ah rating and warranty possible. Physical size and technology must also be taken into consideration.
Also, Luminous batteries work best with Luminous Inverters and give longer and more stable power backup. Please ensure that you purchase the best inverter battery best suited for your requirement, from a renowned brand and not from a local manufacturer, to ensure good product quality and service.
Apart from the above parameters, the freshness of a new inverter battery is also very important. The performance of a battery deteriorates if it does not go through a regular charge/discharge process. Please check the manufacturing date mentioned on the battery packaging before buying it. If the battery is old, kindly ask the seller to do a battery recharge for optimal performance.
Quick tips for maintenance and handling
- Do not expose the battery to direct sunlight.
- Keep the battery away from heat, in a dry, cool, and ventilated space.
- Keep the battery out of the reach of children.
- Keep checking the float indicators in the battery time to time, add water top-up when required.
- Do not fill acid into the battery.
- Do not keep the battery water indicators open.
- Always get the service done by authorized Luminous service personnel only and never by a local technician.
- Be a responsible citizen. never discard the non-functional batteries into dustbins, roads, or anywhere else.
- Always return non-functional OLD inverter batteries to any authorized Luminous distributor for recycling.
With the much required information about batteries, we are sure that now you are well versed with all its aspects.Picking the perfect one and then maintaining the longevity of the battery is going to be easier for you. Take your pick!
Click here to buy now!