Buying Guide - Lighting
Create New Account
Lighting is an essential way to uplift your mood and change the entire ambience of the room. All you need is that perfect path to illuminate your homes and brighten your lives.Luminous has come up with smart lighting solutions with the introduction of LED lighting that not only allows you to indulge but also provides your homes with optimum productivity.
Let us now take a closer look at why it is essential to illuminate our lives the Luminous way…
1. Evolution of the LED
Electrical energy which gets converted to visible light is known as Lighting. Proper lighting enhances task performance, improves the appearance of an area and has positive psychological effects on occupants. Indoor lighting is usually accomplished using light fixtures, and is a key part of interior design. Over a period of time, sources of artificial lighting have got a complete makeover.There has been a gradual shift in the priorities, requirement and aesthetics right from the conception of the incandescent bulbs to the LED of today.
2. What is Luminaire and what are its functions?
A luminaire is a complete lighting unit, comprised of a light source (lamp or lamps), together
with the parts that distribute the light, position and protect the lamps, and connect the lamps
to the power supply. The primary function of the luminaire is to direct light to appropriate locations,without causing glare or discomfort. With thousands of different luminaires made by hundreds of manufacturers, there are more luminaires in the market than any other type of lighting equipment. Choosing luminaires that efficiently provide appropriate luminance patterns for the application is an important part of energy efficient lighting design.
3. What are the varied terminologies of Lighting?
Lighting technology has its own special terms and concepts for defining the characteristics of Lamps and Luminaires and for the standardizing the units of measurement.The Lighting Terminology plays an important role in Lighting design for various applications.A few important terminologies and their units of measurements are given below
- Luminous flux (Total Light coming out) is measured in Lumens
- Illuminance (Light Intensity at Surface/Place)is measured in Lux
- Colour (CCT(Correlated Colour Temperature)is measured in Kelvin
- Colour Rendering Index (Trueness of Colour)is measured in 0-100
- Luminous Efficacy(Total Light/Power Consumed) is measured in Lumens/Watt
4. What is LED?
A light-emitting diode (LED) is a semiconductor device that emits visible light when an electric current passes through it. It is also called Solid State Lighting.The light is not particularly bright, but in most LEDs it is monochromatic, occurring at a single wavelength. The output from an LED can range from red (at a wavelength of approximately 700 nanometers) to blue-violet (about 400 nanometers). Some LEDs emit infrared (IR) energy (830 nanometers or longer); such a device is known as an infrared-emitting diode (IRED).
KNOW YOUR NEED
1. Why switch to LED?
As we evolve our homes evolve too...
Benefits of LEDs compared with incandescent and fluorescent illuminating devices, include:
- Low power consumption: 40% to 80% more efficient than conventional solutions and most types can be operated with battery power supplies.Saving up to 90% energy, LED lighting is the next-step in light bulb technology.
- High efficiency: Most of the power supplied to an LED or IRED is converted into radiation in the desired form, with minimal heat production.Lighting for the home represents the perfect blend of the necessary and the nice. It helps us see in the dark, but is about so much more than that. It can create ambience and set a mood, it can highlight a space to make it the best version of itself, and as a product, it's an accent that can make a statement.
- Long life: When properly installed, an LED or IRED can function 5 to 50 times more than conventional solutions. In stunning contemporary designs, they're sustainable and stylish, with an average 25,000 hour lifespan
- Light in weight: Smaller Form factor – Compact Solution
- Integrated solution: Integrated LEDs come available as ceiling lights, spotlights, wall lights, table and floor lamps, delivering a crisp white light with little heat. Alternatively, select strip or line LED lights to decorate your home in illumination
- Flicker Free performance: Operates on wide voltage range and during high voltage surges
- User Friendly: They can be turned on and off in very less time.
- Non toxic materials: Do not contain Mercury and gases (no CO2 emission)
- Colour Emission: Emits colours such as red, green, blue, violet + shades of white
- No Heat Emission: Does not heat the lighted object and in turn is good for paintings, fabrics
- No UV radiation: No discoloration on lighted object – paintings, fabrics
- Directional Lighting: Inherent ability to create and distribute only what is required eg: accent lighting, cove lighting
- Easy installations: Improved fixture efficiencies – due to more efficient light source + directional light
- Luminous Goes Green: Helps In Reducing Global Warming
2. Wondering how to choose the perfect LED for your home? Well here’s how...
If you're wondering how best to light up your room, we're here to help. To choose what suits your needs and style, it's important to know what's out there. Here's how we make it easier for you.
- Ambience: Ambient helps to create a mood or feeling in a room or living space. It is usually the starting point when one is choosing the perfect lighting solution.This works best when you wish to add a finishing touch to a room
- Brightness: Task is focused lighting that works hard in a small area. It helps you to perform tasks, improves clarity, and prevents tiredness. It's an essential! This works best while working at a desk or while doing make-up
- Accenting: Accent is for highlighting features in a room such as pictures or objects. This is usually restricted to one area. This works best for statement walls, dark corners or over paintings
If you want greater creative control over your lighting, you can combine different types for added spark. In fact, we believe it's important not to leave a room in the dark - Each deserves more than one light source
With this Habitat Lighting Buying Guide, we shine a light on how to illuminate your space. Because we know that whether it gleams, glares or glows, you would want lighting that radiates good looks and works hard.
Click here to buy now!